So i tried logging into my old iMac and i could not get in due to wrong password. After several trials, i decided to do a password reset.
Apple includes a tool with their Mac OS X to replace a Mac’s password. This is the best option if you have completely forgotten your password. Follow these steps:
- Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
- Press the power button while holding down Command and R button . The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load. Select language then continue.
- Select Disk Utility and press Continue.
- Choose Utilities > Terminal.
- Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
- Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
- Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
- Enter a new password and re-enter it into the password fields.
- Enter a new password hint related to the password.
- Click Save.
- A warning will appear that the password has changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
- Click Apple > Shut Down.
Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password. When you get a prompt if you want to use the old keychain or update it, Click update.