Are you a first-time user of a Roku streaming player or a long time pro, the list of Roku tips and tricks put together below will fit your every need and even help deliver you with a better streaming experience. The tips are so simple that you can get them working right away.
1. Private listening
Using the private listening feature, you can watch all of your favourite shows without anyone having to listen to them (unless you want them to).
2. Extra Remote
If you are like me that misplaces remote controls all the time, the Roku mobile app is for you. Having the app running on your mobile device will give you quicker access as you have your mobile device with you always.
This is a handy tip to save you time if you’re watching entertainment through mobile apps that support casting such as YouTube or Netflix and want to view it on your Roku player.
Firstly, make sure your mobile device is connected to the same WiFi network as your Roku player. Once you have chosen a video, show or movie to watch just press the icon that looks like a square box with a WiFi symbol in the bottom left corner. You will then be able to select your Roku player and continue watching on the big screen.
4. Screen mirroring
Not only can you cast from supported apps on a mobile device to your Roku player, but you can also mirror your entire screen from your Android device to your TV!
- Go into Settings and make sure Screen Mirroring is enabled
- Go into the phone settings on your Android phone and search for Cast
- Connect to your Roku player and then follow the set-up process
- You should now see your phone screen mirrored onto your TV
Alternatively, you can use the Roku mobile app to view videos, photos and music by clicking on Photos+.
5. How to use your Roku stick abroad
Holidays are a great excuse to break away from your day to day, but it’s a pain to keep up with your favourite shows. Hotel & Dorm Connect allows you to connect to public WiFi so you can bring your Roku player with you, so you don’t miss out.
- Plug your Roku player into any TV with an HMDI port
- Press the Home button home on your Roku remote.
- Scroll up or down and select Settings.
- Select Network.
- Select Set up connection.
- Select Wireless.
- From the list of available networks, choose the wireless network for the hotel or college dorm. If you do not see the network, select Scan again to see all networks.
- After your Roku player connects to the network, select I am at a hotel or college dorm.
6. Voice Search
If you’ve used a voice assistant, then you’ll be pretty familiar with how to communicate with your Roku player. Using either the Roku mobile app remote or your Roku Streaming Stick+ remote, press the voice search button and when prompted just say the name of an actor, director, movie or TV show!
7. Add channels
Don’t you hate it when you discover a new streaming channel, but you aren’t near your Roku player to add it? Have no fear you have plenty of options to choose.
Using a web browser on your phone, laptop or tablet, go to the Roku Channel Store search for the name of your search bar enter its name, simply press + Add channel and you’re done.
You can also use the Roku mobile app, just download, sign-in and navigate to Channels where you can search and add channels.
There you have it. Which of the Roku tips and tricks do you find useful?